Lord of London Town
Series: Adley Firm, #1
Author: Tillie Cole
Publication Date: October 10, 2020
Genre: Dark Romanc
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★
Cheska Harlow-Wright was born into a life of luxury and privilege. She has never wanted for anything. A comfortable future as a married London socialite
awaits her. But since the age of thirteen, Cheska has harboured a secret—an unshakeable fixation on a boy who could never offer her anything close to comfort. A boy steeped in sin and draped in depravity. A boy born into the possessive embrace of darkness.
When Cheska’s seemingly perfect world is ripped apart by an unknown but deadly enemy, there’s only one person she can run to. One person in the world who has the power to keep her safe. The one person her weak and shattered heart craves.
Arthur Adley. The new head of the most feared crime family in London.
Forced too young to take the helm of the Adley firm, Arthur has become even more ruthless, formidable, and cold than ever before. His enemies are circling, and he must fight—and kill—to maintain his family’s place at the top of the London crime underworld. There is no room for weakness, emotion, or loss of control.
But then Cheska smashes back into his life with the force of a wrecking ball. She has no place in this dark, vicious, and bloodthirsty world. And worse, she is the solitary chink in his impenetrable armour. He’s already pushed her away once, but this time she desperately needs him. She’s broken, lost, and in danger, and he is the only one who can help.
Arthur must protect her. He must destroy those who dare to threaten her, hunt down those who would take what is his. He would raze all of London to the ground to keep her safe… but can he also protect himself?
The infamous Dark Lord of London Town faces his most brutal battle yet—the crippling weight of the past, the unrelenting enemies lurking in the shadows… and the havoc that Cheska’s presence is wreaking on the granite fortress that was once his heart.
Normally I’m all about the sweet contemporary romances, but every once in a while I get burnt out on those and want something different. That’s when I reach for a thriller or a dark romance. I was feeling this way recently, but couldn’t find books that wanted to read. My ex-blogger friend, Ari, recommended Lord of London Town to me and I’m happy she did. It got me out of the book funk I was in. Here are my thoughts on it:
- Lord of London Town started out a little slow, but it was setting the stage for what was to come.
- Arthur was a violent guy. By the time I met him, it seemed like it was more nature than nurture, but as the story goes on I got to learn where his rage and punishment came from.
- I didn’t exactly like all the violence and gore in this book, but it fit the story so I could roll with it. I definitely said “ew” a bunch of times.
- Cheska was Arthur’s goodness and also the light of the book. She might have had a posh upbringing and clean upbringing, but she could easily hang with Arthur and his family. I loved her thoughts on everything.
- Cheska and Arthur’s relationship was full of ups and downs that spanned years. Their time together wasn’t all tender love story. There was a lot of dark moments between the sweet ones. Despite that (or maybe because of it) they made a couple I could root for.
- Arthur’s family was a great cast of characters. I enjoyed them all, but had a big soft spot for Vinnie. His relationship with Pearl made me both happy and sad. He’s the one I am most curious about what’s going to happen to in the next book.
- The climax in this book was so good! There were lots of twist. Some I saw coming, others surprised me. Overall, it was a great read.