Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday!
Top Ten Tuesday is an original weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish and is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. This week’s topic is:
Bookish Pet Peeves
Here are things I don’t like centered around books.
1. Cheating – I am a romance reader and I hate cheating. The only time it works for me is in thrillers because karma is not nice in a thriller.
2. Love triangles – I don’t want to stress out about who the MC is going to pick or be uncomfortable with the choices that person makes. The third person is always hurt.
3. Miscommunication – Just talk to each other already.
4. Lying/keeping secrets from a significant other – The truth always comes out, so why lie? It bugs me. Unless, of course, it’s a thriller.
5. Slow pace – I don’t mind if there is a slow burn, but a slow pace kills a book for me no matter what genre.
6. Student/teacher romances – College is one thing. If it’s high school then it’s a giant NO from me. Gross. I would be beyond angry if my child was that student, so… No romanticizing it. I would include any romances with an MC who is underage and one who is an adult.
7. Emotionally abusive love interests – Relationships where the abuser is not kicked to curb or does not receive psychological help. I’ve read a few of these and they make me so mad.
8. The haters – People who crap on romance novels, reading romance novels, and romance authors.
9. Certain words used to describe books –“Clean” as a descriptor for a closed door romance or one without sex. I might as well include “dirty” for one with steamy sex scenes. Also, “spicy”. That word grates on me as well.
10. Third person narration – It only works if the author is skilled at writing it. Otherwise, it becomes a confusing mess. First person works so much better and allows me to connect better with characters.